August 2018 Meeting Minutes

Greenwood Lake Commission

Senior Center in Greenwood Village, NY.

August 22, 2018

Open: Pledge of Allegiance

Commissioners Attendance: Clint Smith, Paul Zarrillo, Jonathan Brett, Michael Flaherty, George Verno, Eric Hastings. Dale Van Nimwegen, Paul Sullivan, Eric Pain, Floyd DeAngelo, Micki Lees

Absent: 0

Treasurers Report:

· Year to date financial report thru August 22, 2018 provided. Still haven’t received funding from Orange county.

· Bank balances in $76,059+ in Lakeland, the bulk of which to be paid out once we receive the herbidide and geese control bills. Sterling bank $36,570+. Total cash in bank is a little over $112,629.72

· There are no outstanding bills other than ordinary operating expenses and the previously reported herbicides, Siltbusters and geese control to be paid.

Commissioners' reports:

George Vurno

· No report.

Eric Hastings

· No report.

Floyd DeAngelo

· Barry Cheney is working on getting maps of the Warwick end of the lake for use in the Dock numbering project.

Michael Flaherty/Cathy Ahlers/Kelly Tuturo

· No report.

Paul Sullivan

· No report.

Eric Pain

· Lake level is 10'4", Streamflow 106 CFS or 68.3 MGD

· Waiting on commissioners to submit ethics requirements.

· Remaining balance for the work to be completed by Siltbusters is still in account.

· Water Level Management Plan-no update.

Micki Lees

· No report.

Jonathan Brett

· Spoke to the land use division of the DEP about trying to get someone from the DEP to come up and inspect Belchers creek. They stated that unless we have an application in with them they would not send anyone up.

· The DEP also stated that they would work with Princeton Hydro on the upcoming study.

· Gave Paul pictures from our Kayak trip up Belchers creek to locate where the creek is filling in and also pictures of Montclair State doing the water testing last week.

Clint Smith

· No report.

Dale Van Nimwegen

· Administrative and Procurement Policies and Procedures have been finalized. Absent specific input from NJ DEP legal, I have used NJ Local Public Contracts Law and Regulations. (Copy available if anyone would like to review) to reflect applicable NJ requirements in the document. A motion was made and seconded, to accept the revisions as presented. The motion was passed by a unanimous vote in favor.

Paul Zarrillo

· The boat class took in $1920. $1,000 to USCGA, $178.00 in expenses, which left $742 to go to GLC.

· I had a resident contact me about a possible bacteria issue in the lake, leptospirosis, which can be very contagious. Her dog got very ill, spent 2 weeks in hospital and died of complications. GWLC had MSU do a series of tests over 5 days at 5 locations to see if the issue stemmed from the lake. The preliminary results showed no e-coli but low oxygen levels in one area. Final report should be available in about a week.

· Issue brought to my attention about a company wanted to use closed quarry as a dump for compose and vegetables, big protest planned at WM meeting

· More floating stumps came up, me, Eric H. and Jonathan marked them off with bottles. The Passaic county dive team spent most of a day and marked several locations for us and found additional stumps.

· Siltbusters is on schedule to arrive on 9/6 to start work to complete the floating stump field project.

· Some of the residents that are concerned with the geese, wanted us to look into any ordinances regarding urinating in the lake.

· Herbicides fundraiser raised $25,492. All but about $6,000.00 was spent on 2 applications and we will have final numbers next month.

· Office space in WM at old location is $650. per month. Split $400/GWLC and $250/HEAT. We need to move by 11/1, waiting for copy of lease for review.

· We should know soon if we are receiving the highlands council grant.

· Nothing new on the funding legislation in NJ

Public Input

· Michelle Shanker Lake Resident: Expressed concern about the Geese Control Program again.

1. Would like the commission to please correct the record of the May 2018 minutes to reflect the fact that collecting and oiling the eggs did not happen, and that lethal methods were used. Also to make it clear in any future minutes, when referring to ‘goose control’ whether that refers to lethal methods

2. Would like the commission to please consider non-lethal methods of goose control before signing any contracts allowing for lethal methods. This includes considering research independent of what USDA Wildlife Services provides, as they are a self-funding (for profit) agency and have a financial interest in your decision.

3. Would like the commission to hold their meetings with the USDA Wildlife Services in public.

4. Would like a public hearing held before any contract that allows lethal goose control is signed. The hearing should to have sufficient notice, at least 30 days, and be listed prominently on the website and Facebook page at a minimum.

REMINDER: Next meeting is September 26, 2018 at the Senior Center in Greenwood Village @ 7:00pm

OLD BUSINESS

Procedure Policy - Dale handed out revised for all to review and report back with comments for next meeting.

Floating Stump Field – Unable to finish project.

Herbicide Fundraiser - Trying to promote it more and get more donations

Ordinance - Ice Eaters/ Floating Platforms Regulations - Jonathan and Paul are working on ordinances. Will have to be approved by the 3 towns around Greenwood Lake.

GWL Legislation – Billed passed state, now in the environmental committee of the assembly.

Dock Numbering Program – Met with the printer to go over maps for GWL.

By Laws - Copy of revised Methods and Procedures provided to Commissioners for review and approval.

Banks

501C3

Office Space – Received eviction notice. Possible space at utopia deli, village firehouse and previous office space.

Water Management Plan

Highlands Council Study of Belcher Creek

NEW BUSINESS

Name

Attendance 2018

Reports Given 2018

Paul Zarrillo

8/8

8

George Vurno

7/8

4

Dale VanNimwegen

6/8

8

Clint Smith

8/8

6

Paul Sullivan

6/8

4

Jonathan Brett

8/8

8

Eric Hastings

7/8

3

Floyd DeAngelo

7/8

5

Eric Pain

7/8

8

NYSDEC: Kelly Turturro/Michael Flaherty/Catherine Ahlers

8/8

4

Micki Lees

6/8

2

MOTIONS and RESOLUTION

Motion: Approve August 2018 Meeting Minutes.

Motioned by: Paul Zarrillo

NAME

YES

NO

ABSTAINED

Paul Zarrillo Co-Chair

X

Floyd DeAngelo Co-Chair

X

Paul Sullivan

X

Clint Smith

X

Dale VanNimwegen

X

George Vurno

X

Eric Hastings

X

DEP (Eric Pain)

X

DEC (Mike, Kelly, Catherine)

X

Micki Lees

X

Johnathan Brett

X

Motion: Close Public Input.

Motioned by: Dale VanNimwegen

NAME

YES

NO

ABSTAINED

Paul Zarrillo Co-Chair

X

Floyd DeAngelo Co-Chair

X

Paul Sullivan

X

Clint Smith

X

Dale VanNimwegen

X

George Vurno

X

Eric Hastings

X

DEP (Eric Pain)

X

DEC (Mike, Kelly, Catherine)

X

Micki Lees

X

Johnathan Brett

X

Seconded: Paul Sullivan

All in favor ~ Approved.