July 2018 Meeting Minutes

Greenwood Lake Commission

Senior Center in Greenwood Village, NY.

 July 25, 2018

Open:  Pledge of Allegiance

Commissioners Attendance:   Clint Smith, Paul Zarrillo, Jonathan Brett, Kelly Tuturro, George Verno, Eric Hastings. Dale Van Nimwegen, Paul Sullivan

Absent:  Eric Pain, Floyd DeAngelo, Micki Lees

Treasurers Report:

·         Year to date thru July 24, 2018; still haven’t received funding from Orange county.

·         There was a small increase in workers compensation and we are paid up to date.

·         Due to pay around $700 in rent due from the last few months.

·         $76,690.+ in Lakeland, the bulk of which to be paid out once we receive the herbicide bills. Sterling bank $37,375.+.  There are no outstanding bills to be paid other than the ordinary operating expense and the herbicides to be paid. Cash in bank is a little over $114,000.

·         Regarding the split of expense between NY and NJ, there was $50k deposit in question which has been identified to be NJ funding,  A copy of the check from the NJ Treasury was provided to the commissioners

Presentation:   MSU – Save a Lake

Commissioners' reports:

George Vurno

·         Expressed concern for the North Arm and feels we could lose it to wet lands and not be able to do anything with it.  It is essential that we keep those channels open.

Eric Hastings

·         Put a lost and found on website and Facebook page.

Floyd DeAngelo

·         No report.

Michael Flaherty/Cathy Ahlers/Kelly Tuturo

·         No report.

Paul Sullivan

·         No report.

Eric Pain

·         Lake level is 10.14 on the weir=10’1”. Outflow 26.516.9 cfs=mgd

·         Water Level Management Plan-no update

·         Siltbusters-Paperwork finalized $7000.00 payment processed

·         Comments submitted on the Swim Platform and Ice Eater ordinances. Very important.

·         NJ response to Proposed MPS. I have previously sought a response from legal counsel. On 7/7/18 I requested another review of the proposed Methods and Procedures however to date I have not received a response. I apologize for the delay and will continue to seek input

·         Passed along ethics requirements for all NJ commissioners to Chairman Zarrillo

 

Micki Lees

·         No report.

Jonathan Brett

·         Getting ready to survey the lake for the dock numbering system. Met with the gentleman who printed the maps for Lk H, he advised he will do research on his end for the development of the maps for GWL.

·         Roughly $30 for homeowners to be involved. Each house will have a corresponding number to each sign.

Clint Smith

·         Still working on the clean-up of Belchers Creek. Has someone who will be ready to remove debris when the water level drops.

 Dale Van Nimwegen

·         Handed out copies of the revised/rewritten Methods and Procedures for review and approval from commission by August 15, 2018.

·         Draft of the Annual Report for 2017 was passed out to commission for review; center of document is an explanation of the accomplishments of GWLC.

·         List of project priorities needs review by the commission; also due to her August 15, 2018

 Paul Zarrillo

·         Multiple request to remove floating docks and the WMDW and Antoinette, they were able to remove the docs. Spoke to Ed Stein, and he will go back up to Browns Point and Greenwood Lake Beach Club to remove more floating docks.

·         USCGA had boat inspection and had a great turn out at Sportsman.  Sportsman’s Marina would also like to host the Boat Course in their new facility.

·         Need to send $25 for ALF application.

·         8/20 Passaic County Divers Team is scheduled to review the area where Siltbusters worked to make sure area is clear.  Depending on what is found will dictate the future work for Siltbusters.  Eric/DEP will work out how Siltbusters will be paid.

·         Had a meeting scheduled with Mayor Dwyer, his staff and Health Department to go over the procedures of the septic pump out system and their software, however it was postponed.

·         $30.00 Application to join the Highland Coalition for support of the $500K legislation. Powerful lobbying group.

·         August 2nd, meeting set up with Floyd and the new executive director of the North Jersey Water District Supply Co. 

·         The boat regulation commission, they meet monthly and could possibly meet up to go over the conflicting ordinances of boating and other water activities.

·         Passaic County is adapting an app for tourism.  GLW is going to be a part of it and are looking for feedback.

·         Waiting to hear back from Town about Fox Island Cable issues.

 

Public Input

·         Michelle Shanker Lake Resident:  Expressed concern about the Geese Control Program and was upset because she felt that the commission didn’t let the public know and would like the commission to look to other resources for Geese removal.  Requesting a public meeting with the USDA and commission for the next Geese Removal and asking for more transparency, more democratic, and alternative methods of Geese Removal.

Correction of the Record as described during the Public Input

·         In response, the Commission stated the facts about transparency and public notice to be as follows: The Geese

Control Program was discussed at several monthly Commission Meetings, all of which were open to the public and documented in the meeting minutes. Meeting minutes were also available following each months meeting.

·         Furthermore, the Commission stated the following for the record: Control of the geese population is very

important to maintain fecal count readings at a level which allows for continued in-water recreation on the lake.

REMINDER:    Next meeting is August 22, 2018 at the Senior Center in Greenwood Village @ 7:00pm

 

 

OLD BUSINESS

Procedure Policy -  Dale handed out revised for all to review and report back with comments for next meeting.

Floating Stump Field – Unable to finish project.

Herbicide Fundraiser -  Trying to promote it more and get more donations

Ordinance - Ice Eaters/ Floating Platforms Regulations -  Jonathan and Paul are working on ordinances.  Will have to be approved by the 3 towns around Greenwood Lake.

GWL Legislation – Billed passed state, now in the environmental committee of the assembly.

Dock Numbering Program – Met with the printer to go over maps for GWL.

By Laws - Copy of revised Methods and Procedures provided to Commissioners for review and approval.

Banks

501C3

Office Space – Received eviction notice. Possible space at utopia deli, village firehouse and previous office space.

Water Management Plan

Highlands Council Study of Belcher Creek

NEW BUSINESS

Letters to Assemblypersons

Follow up by commissioners

Belchers Creek - Facebook

Press to stop misinformation

 

 

Name

Attendance 2018

Reports Given 2018

Paul Zarrillo

7/7

7

George Vurno

6/7

4

Dale VanNimwegen

5/7

7

Clint Smith

7/7

6

Paul Sullivan

5/7

4

Jonathan Brett

7/7

7

Eric Hastings

6/7

3

Floyd DeAngelo

6/7

5

Eric Pain

6/7

7

NYSDEC:  Kelly Turturro/Michael Flaherty/Catherine Ahlers

7/7

4

Micki Lees

5/7

2

 

 

 

MOTIONS and RESOLUTION

Motion:  Approve July 2018 Meeting Minutes.

Motioned by: Paul Zarrillo

NAME

YES

NO

ABSTAINED

Paul Zarrillo Co-Chair

X

 

 

Floyd DeAngelo Co-Chair

 

 

 

Paul Sullivan

X

 

 

Clint Smith

X

 

 

Dale VanNimwegen

X

 

 

George Vurno

X

 

 

Eric Hastings

X

 

 

DEP (Eric Pain)

 

 

 

DEC (Mike, Kelly, Catherine)

X

 

 

Micki Lees

 

 

 

Johnathan Brett

X

 

 

 

 

 

Motion:  Close Public Input.

Motioned by:  Paul Sullivan

NAME

YES

NO

ABSTAINED

Paul Zarrillo Co-Chair

X

 

 

Floyd DeAngelo Co-Chair

 

 

 

Paul Sullivan

X

 

 

Clint Smith

X

 

 

Dale VanNimwegen

X

 

 

George Vurno

X

 

 

Eric Hastings

X

 

 

DEP (Eric Pain)

 

 

 

DEC (Mike, Kelly, Catherine)

X

 

 

Micki Lees

 

 

 

Johnathan Brett

X

Seconded: George Vurno

All in favor ~ Approved.