March 28, 2018

Greenwood Lake Commission

West Milford Library, West Milford, NJ.

 March 28, 2018

Open:  Pledge of Allegiance

Commissioners Attendance:   Floyd DeAngelo, Eric Hastings, Clint Smith, Dale Van Nimwegen, Paul Zarrillo, Cathy Ahlers, Jonathan Brett, Eric Pain, George Vurno, Micki Lees.

Absent:  Paul Sullivan

Guest:  MSU, Andre Airas, Steve Bryan.

Treasury Report:

·         Biggest change is the $30K funding received from Passaic County; Thank you Sullivan

·         There will be some adjustments going forward to split the cost per State.

·         A little over 90K in the banks collectively.

·         $850, will be paid to administrative hours, printing, intuit monthly fees.

·         Advised commission is not ready to set up a GoFundMe account because of the management that is needed to make sure the account is working for us not against us. – Looking for update on April 20

·         Notion of a PayPal or Paypal “Like” account, Paypro, provided better rates for Non-profit entities. 

o   Motion to have the commission approve the set up a Paypro account

§  Paul advised there is a Paypal account set up on the website already.

Commissioners' reports:

George Vurno

·         The North end of the lake is beautiful, so we need to make sure it stays this way. Only the perimeter is wet lands, and the rest is not navigational. 

o   Cathy to find a map and confirm the wetlands of the North End.

Eric Hastings

·         No report.

Floyd DeAngelo

·         Meet with the chairman of the Orange County legislatures and received a very favorable response to an additional $10K .

Michael Flaherty/Cathy Ahlers/Kelly Tuturo

·         No report.

Paul Sullivan

·         No report.

Eric Pain

·         Lake level is 10 ft 2 inches, putting out 37.6 million gallons a day. Outflow is 58

·         Will processes a purchase order for the $17,500.00 and advised his office will handle it.

·         Still waiting on response.  No update with the water management plan.  Reached out to Geo science for an update and nothing returned.  Will turn it over to his supervisor.

·         Belchers Creek – Division of Land Use Regulation would like to take a visit the lake and the watershed.

·         Sen. Penn. Office called, so he referred him to legislative services because he is not authorized to talk to them.

Micki Lees

·          Paddle Poolooza is September 8, 2018.  Lake Clean up May 12, 2018.

·         Village Lake Clean up date is April 21,2018.

Jonathan Brett

·          Meet with Pete Wosyluk, he desilted Southshore Marina and has done dredging and desilting on Upper Greenwood Lake.  Advised he can do the work but not until the Drawdown.

·         Spoke to DEP, advised we will not be able to use docks, and that it is a safety issue for swimming, advised it is a navigational hazard.

·         Advised received 8 more case numbers regarding the creek.

·         Spoke to Tanya at the DEP, she gave some phone numbers and direction in moving forward.

 Clint Smith

·         Information on strobe lights. Advised the solar ones would be better, brought in an electric one to demonstrate. However, he is not for it because we do not have anyone to maintain them.

 Dale Van Nimwegen

·         Methods and procedures:  needs Eric Pain to resend information to her. Spoke to Kelly and she is preparing the clarification of the suggested change and language for the methods and procedures for NON-Bid projects.

·         Split between NY and NJ, went to bank and got a bunch of back records, the recorded corroborated on the information we had.

Paul Zarrillo

·         Received letter from Freeholder Duffy regarding the $30K from Passaic County and advised is available at any time for on-going support.

·         GWL Funding Legislation: Assemblyman Weber also entered the legislation for the commission to receive $5ooK, Bill A3804, which mimics the LH Bill S2167.

·         Spoke to Freeholder Duffy and he is drumming up support from the democrats to support both bills in the Senate.

·         Floyd, myself and Chief Hanson, 3 officers from State police and surrounding towns of Jefferson, purpose was to review issues that are ongoing and advised of Dock numbering system that they are implementing. Will be having a separate meeting just for Greenwood Lake.

·         Met with Congressman Gottheimer’s two top aides, they offered to help in grant writing and to look into areas of funding for the commission.

o   Will look into having a sponsor for the event.

§  Castle owner Bobbie, and State Farm agent are possible sponsors.

·         Will follow up and send a letter to the township with a copy of the letter received from Orange and Rockland Elc.

·         Looking into swim platforms, bubblers, and ice eaters; Lake Hopatcong has regulations on them and waiting to see what they are before he writes up a proposal.

 

Public Input:

Steven Bryan – Advised that the final approval for site plan.  It is a T1 permit for the Mason Hotel however, it does not fit the jurisdiction of the West Milford Health Department for sewage disposal, so it will go to the State, and the state will evaluate it at that time. 

 

OLD BUSINESS

Grants – Hired Amanda, found 65 Grants in NJ, will investigate more for EPA monies.

Geese Program – April advised they will start mid-April.

RFP Stump Fields – Project to start 4/16/2018 on the NJ side.

Herbicides – Sent out mailers, posters; looking to put add in papers.  Charging $300 an acre, cost is $80 an acre.  NY and Village are doing their own.

Workshops

Fox Island Cables – Sent follow-up letter to the township along with the copies of the letters we received from the State and O&R, that is it the responsibility of the homeowner, the Companies have no liability or responsibility. The township and homeowners are trying to work something out.

Belcher Creek

User Fee

NEW BUSINESS

GWL Funding Legislation – Bill S-2167, in progress

Steering Committee – Johnathan Brett has volunteered.

GLC Procedures Review –Waiting on NY Attorney to look at it.

GLC By Laws Review – After Procedures, will do By Laws.

LK Hopatcong Funding Legislation

Bubblers – LH and LG have ordinances, looking to have an ordinance in place for GWL of no more than 40 feet.

Office – losing office space, looking for a new location

 

 

REMINDER: Next meeting is April 25, 2018 at the Senior Center in Greenwood Village, NY @ 7:00pm

 

MOTIONS and RESOLUTION

 

Motion:  Approve March 2018 Meeting Minutes.

Motioned by: Dale VanNimwegen

Seconded: Floyd DeAngelo

NAME

YES

NO

ABSTAINED

Paul Zarrillo Co-Chair

X

 

 

Floyd DeAngelo Co-Chair

X

 

 

Paul Sullivan

 

 

 

Clint Smith

X

 

 

Dale VanNimwegen

X

 

 

George Vurno

X

 

 

Eric Hastings

X

 

 

DEP (Eric Pain)

X

 

 

DEC (Mike, Kathy, Catherine)

X

 

 

Micki Lees

X

 

 

Johnathan Brett

X

 

 

 

Name

Attendance 2018

Reports Given 2018

Paul Zarrillo

3/3

3

George Vurno

3/3

2

Dale VanNimwegen

3/3

2

Clint Smith

3/3

3

Paul Sullivan

1/3

1

Jonathan Brett

3/3

3

Eric Hastings

3/3

2

Floyd DeAngelo

3/3

2

Eric Pain

3/3

3

NYSDEC:  Kelly Turturro/Michael Flaherty/Catherine Ahlers

3/3

2

Micki Lees

1/3

0