April 25, 2018

Greenwood Lake Commission

Greenwood Village Senior Center, NY.

 April 25, 2018

Open:  Pledge of Allegiance

Commissioners Attendance:   Floyd DeAngelo, Clint Smith, Paul Zarrillo, Jonathan Brett, Eric Pain, George Vurno, Micki Lees, Kelly Turturro, Paul Sullivan,

Absent:  Eric Hastings, Dale Van Nimwegen

Guest:  Frank Gilbert, Andre Airas.

Treasury Report:

·         Advised by Floyd that there will be an e-mail sent with in a day or two with the Treasury Report.

Commissioners' reports:

George Vurno

·         Advised he went passed by the marina and saw marks boat being taking out. Mark was upset but very happy with how everything was being handled.  Need to thank JJ for his efforts along with Moosehead.

Eric Hastings

·         No report.

Floyd DeAngelo

·         Advised that the Silt Busters boat over turned on Sunday afternoon.  There was a weight problem that off set the boat and it flipped over.  Stump Busters insurance company hired Sea Tow to help with divers to salvage as much as they can and put air bags under the boat and flipped it over.  Divers picked up @ 90% of all the materials.  East Shore by Greenwood Lake Beach Associates.

Michael Flaherty/Cathy Ahlers/Kelly Tuturo

·         Working with Dale on the Policy and Procedures, hoping to have something finalized by next meeting.

Paul Sullivan

·         No report.

Eric Pain

·         Lake level is 10 ft 4 inches, putting out 65 million gallons a day.

·         Will processes a purchase order for the $17,500.00 and advised his office will handle it.

·         No update with the water management plan.  Passed out a map of the watershed area; 28.4 miles; areas that drain into the lake.

·         Will bring a state sign about not feeding the water fowl to next meeting to show the commission what it says and to possible post in the marinas in the near future.

Micki Lees

·         Advised cold water shock can happen very easily and our lake community needs to be advised.  Would like to do a presentation in the Fall to educate the community.  To keep our boaters and recreation area safe.

·         Advised was having lunch with Sara to give her the information for the lake clean up and she can post it in Warwick.  Advised she has a contact for the radio for the advertisement to be published.

·         Would like to educate the community on how they should not Feed the Ducks.  Would like to have vinyl signs put up at the marinas and around the water’s edge. 

·         Advised will send the sign and verbiage to Eric Pain before anything is posted.

·         Paddle Poolooza is September 8, 2018.  Lake Clean up May 12, 2018.

Jonathan Brett

·          Spoke to DEP again and will get back to me about the desilting; what can be removed, what can’t be removed, etc.

·          Went to EC Meeting with Clint, spoke about the presentation from MSU and are interested in seeing the report.

·         Showed the report to a part-time employee that works full time for the Wanaque reservoir, he does all the testing for them.  He advised that the E-coli levels are nothing to be overly concerned about.  He seems to think its more from the Geese than anything.

Clint Smith

·         Working on a plan to clean up the trees that are around the lake; not just in Belchers creek.

·         Taking pictures and providing an inventory of what needs to be taken out of the creek etc.

 Dale Van Nimwegen

·         No report.

Paul Zarrillo

·         Working on legislation for potentially getting 500K a year. Sen. Penn advised to reach out to Duffy to try to get the ball rolling. Senator Pennacchico was concerned we were losing momentum

·         Meet with Highlands council and their associates along with Dr. Fred from Princeton Hydro; he will come up with a plan for us to submit to the highlands council.  Approximately @ $80-90K towards the end of June.

o   Have an appointment with MSU next Tuesday to tour the facility and go over more potential studies.

o   Water implantation, aquatic weed study, water lilies, improvement of shore lines, etc. plan to have a study done on Belchers Creek.

§  Suggestions of $150K to herbicides to do the southern end of the lake, $22K for the Geese, Balance for Belchers Creek.

·         Herbicides flyers printed and need to have commissioners pass out.

·         Mark Johnson spoke very highly of John Joseph Inc. and Moosehead about their cooperation and suggestions on how to handle the situation and very grateful of the commissioners who were there all day who helped and gave support.

·         Meeting with State police to go over the patrolling hours etc. Greenwood lake chief Hanson, the town of Warwick pays the Warwick police department to patrol.

·         Still Looking to have an ordinance for flags on the boat, swim platforms, bubblers, and ice eaters, utilizing the ice in the winter, etc.; Lake Hopatcong has regulations on them and waiting to see what they are before he writes up a proposal for Greenwood Lake.

o   Still need to look into Dock Numbering system

·         Need to find office space. Our lease is ending in late June.

 

Public Input

Frank:  Questioned if it’s illegal to feed water fowl in NY state also?  Also, looking for information on aerators, are they illegal as well?  Would like to use one on his lake front property, advised it puts oxygen in the water.

OLD BUSINESS

Procedures – Dale and Kelly working on it., hopefully a draft for review for next meeting

Floating Stump Field Project – End of project for now.

Herbicide Fundraiser Project – Sent out mailers and flyers to obtain donations.

Ice Eaters/ Floating Platforms Regulations -  Still Looking to have a reciprocal agreement

Grants

NJ Legislation

NEW BUSINESS

Steering Committee – Johnathan will be on the committee.

Lake Clean Up ~ May 12

September 8th – Paddle palooza

 

 

REMINDER: Next meeting is May 23, 2018 at the West Milford Library in West Milford @ 7:00pm

 

MOTIONS and RESOLUTION

 

Motion:  Approve April 2018 Meeting Minutes.

Motioned by: George Vurno

Seconded: Paul Zarrillo, all in favor ~ Approved.

NAME

YES

NO

ABSTAINED

Paul Zarrillo Co-Chair

X

 

 

Floyd DeAngelo Co-Chair

X

 

 

Paul Sullivan

X

 

 

Clint Smith

X

 

 

Dale VanNimwegen

 

 

 

George Vurno

X

 

 

Eric Hastings

 

 

 

DEP (Eric Pain)

X

 

 

DEC (Mike, Kelly, Catherine)

X

 

 

Micki Lees

X

 

 

Johnathan Brett

X

 

 

 

Name

Attendance 2018

Reports Given 2018

Paul Zarrillo

4/4

4

George Vurno

4/4

3

Dale VanNimwegen

3/4

2

Clint Smith

4/4

4

Paul Sullivan

2/3

1

Jonathan Brett

4/4

4

Eric Hastings

3/4

2

Floyd DeAngelo

4/4

3

Eric Pain

4/4

4

NYSDEC:  Kelly Turturro/Michael Flaherty/Catherine Ahlers

4/4

3

Micki Lees

2/4

1