November 28, 2018

Greenwood Lake Commission

West Milford Library, NJ.

 November 28, 2018

Open:  Pledge of Allegiance

Commissioners Attendance:   Paul Zarrillo, Jonathan Brett, Kelly Tuturo, Eric Hastings, Dale Van Nimwegen, Eric Pain, Floyd DeAngelo, Paul Sullivan, Clint Smith, Micki Lees.

Absent:  George Vurno

Treasurers Report:  One item that has been noted is that we did not have the monies in from Orange County or Warwick. There are outstanding payments; the December rent, the utilities, and one other payment owed to the USDA @ $5k to them. $72/by year end.  A budget sheet was passed out and a 3-year strategic plan in draft form.  With a note that 10K will be held in a reserve for any emergency. Discussed the 3-year plan in detail for Manage Lake and Watershed Health and Vitality; Control Effluent and Foreign Material Discharge into the Lake; Mitigate safety hazards; Control invasive water/wetland flora and fauna; and inform public and private interests of lake preservation priorities.  This is an action item for all to take home and review.

Barry Chaney – Guest – On behalf of the Orange County Executive Steve Neuhaus and County legislature, which he is a member of the district that covers Greenwood Lake, he is pleased to bring the grant monies provided by Orange County to the commission for 2017.  Advised the diligence from Floyd was a big help and will work on getting the file of address’s to him.

Meeting Procedures:  Trying to expedite the meetings and keep in order. Would like to keep small talk amongst commissioners and guest to a minimum. To use the time set aside for this properly.  We have a 2-minute question / 3-minute answer question answer portion and need to keep to this. Need to keep our personal businesses out of the meeting discussions.

Commissioners' reports:

George Vurno

·         No report.

Eric Hastings

·         Water management plan - Would like to be able to take out 32 yards by mechanical means.

Floyd DeAngelo

·         Received $20K from Orange County.

·         Town of Warwick can be voucher in January for the monies. Its our mistake that we haven’t vouchered them.

·         Went to Passaic County with Paul Sullivan with the maps of the watershed and houses around the lake and Passaic County advised they will try to duplicate the maps.

·         Mayor Dwyer would like a public input for the drawdown.

·         Still waiting on electronic file with addresses for when we are ready to do mailings from Barry.

Michael Flaherty/Cathy Ahlers/Kelly Tuturo

·         No report.

Paul Sullivan

·         Waiting to get the digital copy of the maps.

·         Will visit sometime in January to present Annual Report.

Eric Pain

·         Weir is 10.8 which is a Lake level is 10'10"; 3.51 on the down-stream 343 cubic feet per second, 219 million gallons per day.

·         Still working on getting updates for the Water Level Management plan. Still waiting on internal input.

·         Called Aids to Navigation, was told manager was away and upon his return, we could have a meeting to discuss the dangers of Belchers Creek and a danger Buoy can be placed in the deep muck of the creek.

·         On Nov. 21st, there was a report about building being done on the lake, however there are no permits that have been issued.

Micki Lees

·         Greenwood lake village will support any drawdown but would like business owners and lake front owners to be notified in advance and the logistics of the drawdown.

Jonathan Brett

·         Advised will do a small write up of Permit by Rule, as per requested by Dale and Eric P.

Clint Smith

·         Advised on an environmental commission and they are in full support of cleaning up Belchers Creek.

Dale Van Nimwegen

·         Currently working on new brochures, letter head and business cards for commission.

·         Next meeting would like to discuss how we can do mailings moving forward.

Paul Zarrillo

·         Request from the Highlands coalition to support Bill S-1073, in the legislature now, would give local authorities, local municipalities and counties the right to establish independent storm water utilities.

1.       At this point, Dale and Eric H are not in favor of supporting this Bill. They would like to see how the funds would be broken down.

·         New Dump Site:  Have gone to a meeting or two, however no other information yet, the company who’s proposed to do it has not gotten back to the town.

 

Public Input

 

·         Barbara: East Arm lake front owner, our concern is the lily pads. In leu of our presentation of the Human Geese control; asking to see any dialog that the commission has had with the USDA about a contract and etc.  Paul advised we are waiting on the USDA Geese proposal for control.

·         Dan Sullivan Small Craft Marina:  Permit and contracting is hard to get and people avoid it, asking if the commission could help in making it any easier.  Island in front of Moose Head, the ruling is different depending on who you speak to; would like to have a permanent ruling on the speed thru this area of the lake.  Drawdown, as a marina owner, he is against it, however in favor of a every two-year drawdown and push the 5-foot drawdown out further.  Paul said he will contact Aids to Navigation to discuss.

o   Eric Hastings asked if there is a water discharge fee that the marina owners have to pay each year. Dan Sullivan and Steve Bryan advised yes; $800+

·         Stephen Butfilowski:  Mentioned there is a hotline for the NJDEP, is looking for a hotline for NYDEC, Kelly advised there is an 800 number:   1-844-332-3267.

 

REMINDER:    Next meeting is December 19, 2019 at the Senior Center in Greenwood Village, NY @ 7:00pm

Name

Attendance 2018

Reports Given 2018

Paul Zarrillo

11/11

11

George Vurno

9/11

4

Dale VanNimwegen

9/11

11

Clint Smith

10/11

7

Paul Sullivan

9/11

5

Jonathan Brett

11/11

11

Eric Hastings

10/11

5

Floyd DeAngelo

10/11

8

Eric Pain

10/11

11

NYSDEC:  Kelly Turturro/Michael Flaherty/Catherine Ahlers

11/11

4

Micki Lees

9/11

3

OLD BUSINESS

Ordinance - Ice Eaters/ Floating Platforms Regulations - Jonathan and Paul are working on ordinances, will meet November 29 to finalize.

GWL Legislation – Billed passed state senate, now in the environmental committee of the assembly.

Dock Numbering Program – Work in progress. Still need maps from Passaic County.

Water Management Plan – Commissioners need to provide comments to Eric P so he can finalize plan.

Highlands Council Study of Belcher Creek – waiting on corrections.

NEW BUSINESS

Fundraiser:  Castle would like to hold fundraiser for commission.

2019 Calendar dates for monthly meetings

Mailings:  For Doc program and additional funds for herbicides.

Annual Meeting for Business owners in and around the lake.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

MOTIONS and RESOLUTION

Motion:  Approve October Meeting with revisions.

Motioned by: Dale VanNimwegen, seconded by:  Eric Hastings

NAME

YES

NO

ABSTAINED

Paul Zarrillo Co-Chair

X

 

 

Floyd DeAngelo Co-Chair

X

 

 

Paul Sullivan

X

 

 

Clint Smith

X

 

 

Dale VanNimwegen

X

 

 

George Vurno

X

 

 

Eric Hastings

X

 

 

DEP (Eric Pain)

X

 

 

DEC (Mike, Kelly, Catherine)

X

 

 

Micki Lees

X

 

 

Johnathan Brett

X

 

 

 

 

MOTIONS and RESOLUTION

Motion:  Approve Budget for 2019. With the understanding that it is dynamic and could change at a later date.

Motioned by: Eric Hastings, seconded by:  Micki Lees

NAME

YES

NO

ABSTAINED

Paul Zarrillo Co-Chair

X

 

 

Floyd DeAngelo Co-Chair

X

 

 

Paul Sullivan

X

 

 

Clint Smith

X

 

 

Dale VanNimwegen

X

 

 

George Vurno

 

 

 

Eric Hastings

X

 

 

DEP (Eric Pain)

X

 

 

DEC (Mike, Kelly, Catherine)

X

 

 

Micki Lees

X

 

 

Johnathan Brett

X